Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Jared Frisby


After graduation, I went to Ricks for a year and majored in computer science. It didn’t take long for me to realize that I wasn’t cut out to be a computer programmer. I had a chance meeting with the head of the school’s Video Productions department and I was hired part-time. After a few months of working there, I realized that I loved working in the video world, and I changed my major to Communications with an emphasis in broadcast journalism.
In the summer of 1999, I went to the New Jersey Cherry Hill mission. I had a great time, and serving a mission has helped my life immeasurably. After the mission, I returned to Ricks (but it was only a few weeks before it changed to BYU-Idaho). I had a great time at school. I continued working for Video Productions and I started working for the campus radio stations and yearbook.
After graduation in 2005, I was hired by Apple Computer. I work in Apple Global Training where I create podcasts, demo videos, and live webcasts to train everyone who sells Apple products. I also do a lot of Flash programming to train iPhone resellers. I enjoy working on such a wide variety of projects, and I absolutely love it here. I’ve been a big Mac fan for a long time, and it’s a blast to work for such a great company. I’m about to start working on a Masters degree in Instructional Technology. It will involve many online and night classes, but it will be worth it in the end.
Working at Apple meant that I had to leave the Jell-O belt and move to Silicon Valley. I live in Sunnyvale, just a few miles from San Jose and about 45 minutes from San Francisco. I started going to the YSA ward when I moved, and that’s where I met my wife, Jenni. We started dating about a year and a half ago, and we were married this past March in the Oakland temple. Married life is fantastic! Jenni is an athletic trainer at West Valley College nearby, so we both have a decent commute and don’t have to deal with nasty rush hour traffic.
Living in the Bay Area is awesome. We’re close to San Francisco, Santa Cruz, mountains, beaches, biking, great food, and tons of good concerts. The downside to living here is that my family and many good friends are far away, but we try to visit Idaho and Utah whenever we can (which is never often enough).
With all that has been going on at work, we won’t be able to make it to the class reunion. I love reading about how everyone is doing, and it’s good to hear from everyone. Have fun at the reunion!

1 comment:

Bryce said...

Jared, where are you these days? You still working at apple? Hope all is well.